Friday, April 24, 2009

Mom & Dad bentos (#24 & #25) and Boy's bento (#26)

On Thursday night, I had 4 lbs of ground beef to use up, so I made a big batch of sloppy joes and another of burrito filling (ground beef, salsa, black beans, and melted cheese.) I wanted to freeze them for future lunches, so I put all my silicon cupcake cups on a cookie sheet and then filled them with these two mixes. I put them into my stand-up freezer and was able to remove the silicon cups the next morning and put these foods into freezer bags for quick bento building later.

I mostly defrosted two cups each for the adult bentos today and added a hot dog bun to eat them on.



I had a side salad with the last of the homemade honey mustard dressing (which I think I'm totally sick of right now!) The Hubster got grape tomatoes and we both got baby carrots and some chocolate bars for dessert.

I tried an experiment of using a little plastic shot glass (gotten from Dollar Tree in their current "Luau" promotion) to pack the salad dressing. I sealed the top with plastic wrap and, I have to say, it worked pretty well.

The Boy had been asking for make-your-own peanut butter and jelly crackers as a bento for several days, so I was happy to oblige. I just plopped PB in one silicon cup and jelly in another, tucked crackers, carrots and a couple chocolates into his box and sent him off with a plastic knife from Ikea.

He liked it, but the Hubster took umbrage with the term "deconstructed" when I told him what it was. He said that sounded a tad pretentious.
Harrrumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment