Monday, May 4, 2009

Dad's bento (#30)

A local grocery store had pork cutlets on a big sale so I bought some to try tonkatsu.

It was pretty straightforward -- season the cutlet before coating it with flour (a GF alternative would be corn starch), then dip it in egg, then dip it in panko crumbs (the GF version is to dip it in crumbled Chex cereal.) Then fry it in a skillet with a 1/2 inch of oil until golden brown on one side, flip it and fry the other side. Drain on some paper towels before slicing and serving.

I had some home-made teriyaki sauce from a previous meal and I'd already put the leftovers into cute sauce bottles.


The garlic knots were left over from dinner the night before.

I'd tried to make California rolls but it was my first attempt and they were rather crap-like. Not to mention that I discovered that the smell of warm nori was not something I fell in love with right away. I did try the rolls and thought the taste of nori was something I could quickly learn to love -- if I could just get past that initial smell. (I think I need to find some "fresh" nori to try again.)

Anyway, I had leftover celery and crab sticks to add to the bento -- and it was A.L.O.T. of food -- the Hubster barely finished it and was, I think, a little uncomfortably full for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment