Friday, May 22, 2009

Not bento - ROSES!

My garden is really starting to ramp-up and it's well on its way to the standard "Victorian Lady of Easy Virtue" look that it takes on in May. Seriously, there are so many blooms in my yard that it actually gets to be a bit MUCH!


This is a 'Zepherine Drouhin' rose -- thornless and lovely. Over Mother's Day, my husband installed a climbing frame that extends over the arch of our porch.



This "lamp post bed" is full of red Knockout and pink Carefree Wonder roses that are *just* beginning to show. Yum... the Carefree's have such a lovely sent.


I'm a sucker for irises and these 'Batik' ones are my absolutely favorite color. Behind them is a small stand of two-tone bearded irises. (The deep red ones are just coming up, but not yet ready to blossom.)Behind them is a large baptisia autralis (false indigo.) This beauty grips my heart every year and doesn't let go until the last bloom drops. (I have some in my big back garden as well.... sigh.)

My "hostafarian" bed along the side of the garage was designed by my "enabler" and wholesale plant dealer, Emanuella. She loves BIG plants and this bed really has her flare.


It's full of lots of varieties, plus ferms, tradescantia (spiderwort), heucheras (coral bells) and alchemilla mollis (ladies mantle.) On the two trellises are climbing hydrangea to match the two mop cap varietals in the back corner. (I'll include better pics later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment